Copyright

Art & Poetry copyright © 2011 Atlanta Marie Carrera

Sunday, June 24, 2012

Baptized by Tears


I cry
I lie alone in bed and cry.
Baptized by Tears
Warm tears dropping lightly on my pillow
until the wetness against the sheets turns them cold.

The greater the love,
the deeper the hole that’s left behind.
How will I ever fill it?

I pray. I grieve. I cannot breathe.
I swallow my breath
as my body shakes with each heartbeat.
I cry from the inside
as if I could hold it all in there,
but I cannot.

My mind jumping from one thought to another...
One precious memory to the next...
All only memories now.
Like watching a sad movie
that you can’t walk away from.

The tears filling up inside my head....
shutting down the airway through my nose,
streaming out the corners of my eyes,
choking my throat closed,
as I swallow down the tears
until they fill my stomach
which now churns with emptiness.

My prayer for you is this...

Let your tears be the water which baptizes you anew.
They flow because of love from the inside out.
May they wash over you leaving a peace in their wake,
nourishing and renewing your spirit
for the new person you must become.
Knowing always that the future ahead
will one day unite those separated souls again
and that everything will be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment